This is a GREAT VIDEO by our Friends at Solty’s Garden Centre.
A ‘Must Watch’ for anyone planting … anything!
It doesn’t matter if you are planting a large tree or a small perennial … the techniques for planting are all the same!
- Select a location for your new plant.
- Dig a hole wider and deeper than the plant in the container or pot. You need room to install the plant.
- Place the plant in the hole at the same level or slightly higher than the existing grade.
- Make sure the plant is straight. It’s a rookie move to plant something crooked.
- Sprinkle a root stimulator like bonemeal and Myke around the roots of the plant and back fill the hole with enriched soil. Compact around the roots with your feet or hands.
- Create a soil saucer with excess soil around the newly planted plant. This saucer will become a water basin to collect water and feed it directly to the roots.
- Now water your new plant. Don’t let it dry out. This can damage tender new roots. Water at least every two days for a couple weeks to make sure your new plant is adapting well.
- Mulch around the new plant. This will help to ensure soil moisture and keep weeds down.
- Enjoy you new plant!
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtxbWTwSOVU